Our family has many places around town that we love exploring together! Here is an in-progress list of some of our favorites:
(If you have any favorites not listed here, please let me know, and I will add them to the list!)
Animals & Nature:
- Victoria Butterfly Gardens: Visit the butterflies, flamingos, turtles, and more.
- Beacon Hill Park: Explore the park, playground, and Children’s Petting Zoo. And don’t forget to try some of the best soft-serve ice cream in town at the Beacon Drive-In.
- Victoria Bug Zoo: Meet insects, arachnids, and other multi-legged friends.
- Butchart Gardens: Wander around the beautiful grounds, and take a ride on the indoor carousel (ask about the punch pass). Visit at Christmas time for a magical experience!
- Fisherman’s Wharf: Enjoy some of the best Fish n Chips around, and meet the local seals.
- Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea: Search for the octopus, explore the touch pools, or enjoy crafts and activities during Tot Tuesdays.
- Island View Beach: Play in the sand and water in summer, or go for a walk (bike ride for your toddler!) on the paths.
- Dallas Road Waterfront Trail: Go for a walk along the water, and take your kite if the wind is up!
- Gyro Park/Playground: Enjoy the octopus slide, zip line, swings, and much more! There’s also a beautiful sandy beach!
- Mystic Vale hike: This is a great little hike, suitable for toddlers, through the gorgeous forest!
- The Playground Buddy App: This app has a map marked with playgrounds all over town. Each Playground lists the features, and many include photos.
Arts & Crafts:
- 4Cats Uptown, 4Cats Oak Bay and 4Cats Langford: Create a pottery piece, polymer clay figurine, or other craft – with your child or as a Mom/Dad night out!
History & Exploration:
- The Royal BC Museum: Visit the woolly mammoth, Old Town, and a new featured exhibit a few times a year.
- Miniature World: Explore a world of miniatures.
- Victoria Harbour Ferry: Take a harbour tour, water taxi, or watch the Water Ballet!
- Fort Rodd Hill: Explore this national historic site built in the late 1890s.
- Sidney/North Saanich Library: Find new bedtime stories and check out upcoming events and activities for kids .
- Greater Victoria Library: The Victoria library events calendar is full of events, many of which are catered to children and families.
Indoor Play Time:
- Panorama Recreation Centre: Go for a swim or skate at the local rec centre on the Peninsula.
- Greenglade Kindergym: Enjoy toys, games, a bouncy castle and more during drop-in Kindergym time.
- Mothering Touch: Try out a drop-in class such as Family Yoga, Yoga with Toddlers, and many more options!
- Playzone: Our girls love the climbing structures, slides and other fun activities at Playzone. It’s a favourite place on a rainy day!
- Parent-Child programs through PCEC: Information about Mother Goose, Strong Start, Baby Talk, and other excellent programs for new families.
Sports & Adventure:
- Falcon Gymnastics: Try out a new sport and explore trampolines, foam pits and more at their Parent & Tot Drop-in times.
- Harbour Cats game: Catch a Harbour Cats baseball game on a sunny day.
- Victoria Royals game: Take in a Royals hockey game at the Save on Foods Arena.
- AdrenaLINE Zipline Adventures: If you have older kids and are looking for something more adventurous, try out Vancouver Island’s only canopy zipline tour.